Bringing in the Good Guys


We've had war waged upon us this spring in the garden. Everything from leafhoppers spreading fungal infections, to deer and slugs eating up the roses and veg garden. 
Fortunately with a little help from the outside world, we were able to bring in some warriors and deterrents.

First invasion was by the slugs. I filled the kitchen garden beds with peas, squash, basil and lettuce seeds. They sprouted, but as soon as they appeared, they were then gone. 
The culprit: slugs. 
So, I planted again lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, and herbs this time.

I had heard about DIY slug traps made with beer. 
It sounded so easy, that I thought it was too good to be true. 
I'm glad we finally gave it a go! 
They worked! They really, truly worked and now I've been slug free for a couple weeks. 

There are a couple different ways to make a slug beer trap, but I found this one to work the best & it helps the good bugs escape, if they venture in.


The kitchen garden beds in early spring;


& now; 


Next enemy to take on was the leafhoppers. 
They are little sap sucking bugs, who spread fungal infections that cause bud blast. 


That is bud blast on one of my rhodies. 
The only way to treat it is by removing all the infected buds and build up the immunity of the rhodie, by making sure it's getting plenty of quality food and water. 
The other thing to do is bring in the warrior ladybugs and lacewings! 

We released 1500 ladybugs in the garden and plan to do it a couple more times this summer, along with some lacewings. They both eat tons of leafhoppers and their eggs. 

Since living here for the past 4 years, i've only come in contact with one ladybug who was on our blackberries a couple summers ago. 

I hope to populate the garden with these lovely little bugs! 
Interesting fact: Ladybugs live for around 3 years and they hibernate in the winter, usually under logs or hidden away in the bark of a dying/dead tree, where there you would find hundreds of them huddled together to keep warm while they sleep. 






Then there is this rogue deer.
This pic is of her a few weeks ago. 
She is now HUGE. Definitely the largest doe i've ever seen. 

She's been eating well! 



She LOVES eating the leaves of my roses! 
She is stripping the canes. 
So I did some research and found an organic deer repellent. 
It's made of blood, basically. Cow's blood.
It makes me come very close to vomiting when I spray it, because of the horrid stench.
Ugh. Bleh.
As soon as it dries, it does not smell anymore, though. 

Thank goodness, because it seems to be working. 


This spring has been chilly one minute, hot the next and with lots of rain. 
We've had plenty of days that look like this:


Very grey & very green. 




I look forward to more of those glorious partly sunny days, that are cool with the perfect sea breeze. That's the best summer weather, I think! 
Not too hot, not too cold, just right. 
~

Comments

  1. I love how green it is there! You are just full of great gardening facts. I am definitely going to refer back to this post when we put in our veggie garden. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts